Wilton House Trust
Wilton House Trust was established as a charity in July 1983, to preserve Wilton House, its contents, gardens and park for the public benefit into the future, and affords the opportunity for cultural and educational visits to this great, historic house and its extraordinary art collections.
The charity raises income from admission charges to visitors to the House and grounds and the repair, restoration and maintenance of the fabric of the buildings at Wilton House and its contents are funded from the annual surplus.
Conservation & Restoration
There is a continuing conservation programme for the painting, sculpture and furniture collection within Wilton House.
One of the six winners of the Salisbury Civic Society Conservation Awards Scheme
“The Holbein Porch and Triumphal Arch at Wilton House had been treated in a very responsible way. A full range of stone conservation techniques had been intelligently applied, with new stone inserted where necessary, and carving of decorative elements had been executed to exceptionally high standards”.
The 20 piece Regency suite of leather-upholstered furniture in the Smoking Rooms has been the subject of extensive work at the Leather Conservation Centre, Northampton, with grant aid from the Leather sellers’ Company Charitable Fund.
Students and faculty staff from Granary Conservation, visit annually on furniture restoration courses to carry out conservation and repair on furniture within the collection.
Picture Restorer, Simon Folkes, prioritises the preservation and conservation of artworks at Wilton House and has undertaken work over the winter months, most recently on the Philips Wouwermans (1619-1668) ‘Return of the Prodigal Son’.
Book Restoration – regular volunteers from NADFAS work on the restoration programme, cleaning and making condition reports on the important book collection.
The Sculpture Collection – on-going specialist cleaning and restoration work is carried out by Coade Ltd (the sculpture studio and restoration company based on the Estate).
In 2010, the House was the recipient of the HHA/Sotheby’s Restoration Award for work on the Dining Room and Cloisters.
Examples of our conservation workRegency Bergere and side chair after leather conservationRestoration and re-gilding of picture frame by New Bucks University MA studentFrontis piece Vol 1 showing date and foxingCopying caryatids for the Dining Room
Throughout the year, we receive many enquiries from research students, academics and members of the public. Out of season, academic research may be undertaken in the House, with experts from institutions at home and abroad visiting to learn more about the works of art.
With the extensive knowledge of the in-house team, working in conjunction with a network of international experts, these enquiries can lead on to surprising discoveries and occasionally to new attributions being made.
It is always interesting to receive final copies of the articles written by researchers, with the resultant information being incorporated into the records held at Wilton House – for the benefit of future research students.
For further enquiries please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wouverman, Return of the Prodigal Son.
Wouverman, Return of the Prodigal Son.
Wilton House Archive
Estate and family papers, are held at:-
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
Wiltshire SN15 3QN.
Tel: 01249 705500.
Fax 01249 705527
All research enquiries involving archive material should be directed to the History Centre.
Wilton House Art Collection
Use of Images
If you wish to use an image of a painting from the collection at Wilton House, please contact the Bridgeman Art Library in the first instance.
The Bridgeman Art Library is licensed to utilise transparencies produced from the paintings at Wilton House and to make images of the paintings available to third parties, subject to permission.
Telephone: 020 7727 4065
Wilton House at BridgemanEdward VI (1537 – 1553): School of Hans Holbein the YoungerSir Peter Lely (1618 – 1680): Henriette de Querouaille, Countess of PembrokeRembrandt van Rijn (1606 – 1669): Rembrandt’s Mother