Saw Mill Yard

The sawmill, now redundant and home to three independent craft workshops was once the model of Victorian design and engineering and part of the estate yard, producing a considerable amount of sawn timber from oak and conifer logs felled locally at Grovely Wood.
VISITOR Saw Mill Yard Brook Pottery 1000px x 563px


Giant handmade English urns, classically designed with a strong contemporary edge.
For all enquiries: Tel 01722 742325 or Email


Makers & Restorers of Sculpture & Garden Ornament.
For more information:
Tel: 01722 744499 or Email:

VISITOR Saw Mill Yard Coade 1000px x 563px
VISITOR Saw Mill Yard Wilton Woodworks 1000px x 563px


Boat builders and fine furniture makers.
For more information:
Tel: 01722 744761

Situated towards the end of South Street and beside the river Nadder, within the Park wall, the sawmill was a purpose built building to incorporate all the working machinery for a busy, working estate.

Originally powered by water channelled from the river Nadder, it was later converted to steam, (when a tall square brick chimney was added) and lastly to electric from around 1930. The sawmill ran almost continuously until the 1980’s when the last sawyer to manage the estate sawmill retired.