The Pembroke Arms Hotel reopened under new management in January 2014 and offers morning coffees, lunches and evening meals, together with overnight accommodation and function and conference facilities. Ido and Alison Davids took over from Hillbrooke Hotels and were delighted to return to the hotel, which they had previously run from 2000 to 2012.
The Pembroke Arms is on the Wilton Estate.
In the 18th century, Lord Pembroke acquired the old Burbage tenement belonging to Kings College Cambridge. It was here that the first Pembroke Arms was situated, in Minster Street. However, after the exchange, it was taken down and the surrounding land was enclosed within the grounds of Wilton House. The present Pembroke Arms stands on the opposite side of the street. It was built as overflow accommodation for visitors to Wilton House in the late 1700s in the time of the 10th Countess of Pembroke, Elizabeth Spencer; one of Princess Diana’s ancestors. During the Victorian period, it doubled as an Inland Revenue Office.
In 1940, Wilton House was requisitioned by the Army as the new Headquarters of Southern Command. Nissen huts were set up in the grounds and used as extra offices and accommodation and The Pembroke Arms hotel was taken over as an Officer’s Mess. Much of the planning for D-Day was done at Wilton House and over 750 miles of telephone wire was laid in and around Wilton House, linking the centre of operations with all units in the area.